When people think about marketing their businesses online, the first thing they usually think of is social media. While social networking sites can yield great results, you have limited control over your reach (think algorithm).
So should we stop using social?
OF COURSE NOT! What we need to do, is make sure we use social media as a way to continuously add new subscribers to an opt-in mailing list.
Email Works If You Let It!
There are all kinds of benefits to building a strong email list of people who are eager to see your content. A few of these include…
- Increased customer retention. When people are continuously being provided with great content from you, they are more likely to purchase again in the future.
- Having more control of your communications and the ability to speak to the right audiences at the right times. Email lists can easily be segmented for targeted and relevant messages.
- You own this as opposed to social media, where you “rent” your space and your ability to reach your audience is dictated by the social media provider.
- Email marketing is affordable and effective; people read their emails.
- When done correctly… emails will convert!
Make It Easy
Your social media profiles should be a catalyst for adding new subscribers who want to hear from you.
If you are seeing traffic from your social media profiles to your website (you can see this in Google Analytics), make sure you’ve created a way for people to get in touch! Have an opt-on form readily available on you website and offering a free download or additional content when they sign up will help encourage people to do so.
In an average day, people will use email in all aspects of their business, to bank online, register for events, make purchases, communicate with their kid’s schools, and a number of other things throughout the day.
Because of this, people are in their email a lot, and is one of the most effective ways to reach and engage your audience. Your customers are comfortable (and sometimes prefer) engaging with brands over email.
What If I Don’t Have Anything To Say?
Emails are great for acquisition, retention and win-back strategies. While I always think less is more, and you shouldn’t just send something to send it, here’s a few ideas for the types of emails you can send.
- An awesome and engaging welcome email (which is typically the most opened email)
- Education on what you do and how it helps your ideal audience
- New products or services being offered
- Upcoming events and programs of interest
- Something special – birthday, anniversary with you
- Feedback or survey about a product or event
- Behind the scenes of your business
- Freebie or giveaway
- An offer or discount for your product or service
- A notice that your business is hiring
Tip: Be sure use to use a professional email service provider (ESP) like MailChimp, Active Campaign, or Convert Kit. These tools not only show you open and click rates, but also allow you to segment lists for more relevant messaging.
What If I Am Having Trouble Getting People To Sign Up?
For business owners who sell physical products (and even those who offer services),
- Coupon, exclusive discount, or welcome offer
- Gift with purchase
- Free shipping offers
- Free printable or download
- Early access to new arrivals or sales
- A birthday discount
- Access to a private community or group
- Exclusive products just for those on your list
- How-to guide
Get in touch with our team today to learn more!